International Women's Day | Cheryl Hill - Leicester Tigers
For International Women's Day, we asked questions to a lot of women who work in the groundskeeping or gardening industry about their work.
How long have you been working in this industry?
I have been working in the industry for 31 years however 30 years with Leicester Tigers.
What does the average day look like for you?
- Arrive 0700 and set out the pitches for training, unlock the sheds and dome.
- Have some breakfast around 0830 and then back into maintenance of the playing surface and surrounding areas.
- Lunch around 1300 and the back into pitch maintenance until 1600. We have the newly erected Dome that we have to maintain with brushing the surface in several directions twice a week.
- Maintenance of the machinery of which can be minor or major as well as day to day wear and tear.
- We also have the Welford Road stadium pitch to attend to twice a week
What would you say is the biggest challenge working in this industry/Have you faced any challenges being a female in a male-dominated environment?
Being a female in a male sporting environment has its challenges with some attitudes being very varied. Although it’s a male-dominated industry I have found that I have been accepted by both players and staff equally
Why did you choose to work in this industry?
A desire to be part of a team working in my industry is paramount. The team ethos both on and off the pitch has led me to be accepted as part of the team. My dedication to the club was rewarded with 30 yrs service; no player or other member of staff has been honoured in this way. I’m passionate not only for the club but also the team I work with.
What advice would you give to women wanting to join the industry?
Sense of humour to work in a predominantly all-male environment, with a desire to work and just get on with the job no matter what the weather is. We can work in 4 seasons in one day and having the can-do attitude rather than the 'must I do it' has its rewards at the end of the day. Also having pride in everything you do around the club and training ground or industry will allow you to be successful.